Date: January 6, 2014 www.cabookstoreday.com
Contact: Samantha Schoech, Producer Twitter: @BookstoreDay
415-846-6131; firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: /BookstoreDay
Eggers, Gaiman, Snicket, Pollan and others to participate in the first
CALIFORNIA BOOKSTORE DAY 2014
California Bookstore Day (CBD) is proud to announce the special items created by major authors and publishers especially for CBD 2014.
The first California Bookstore Day will take place on Saturday May 3, 2014 at more than 80 independent bookstores across the state.
For one day, and one day only, a number of very limited, unique, books and word-based items will be available at indies statewide. You can’t get them before. You can’t get them after. And you can’t get them online. Think Record Store Day, for book nerds.
Large and small publishers from New York to California have worked with their authors and designers to create books and items specifically for California Bookstore Day.
The 14 exclusive CBD items include:
• A specially designed gift edition of George Saunders’ Congratulations, By the Way graduation speech, signed and doodled in by the author.
•A “Classic California” boxed set including novels by Charles Bukowski, John Fante, Armistead Maupin, and Elmore Leonard.
• Recipes from Michael Pollan’s kitchen collected in a pyramid binder.
• Do You Smell Carrots? is an anthology of jokes for kids featuring more than 50 of our favorite children’s authors including Jeff Kinney (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) and Jon Scieszka (The Stinky Cheese Man), and Lynne Reid Banks (The Indian in the Cupboard series).
• An original signed print from Lemony Snicket with art by Seth.
• A specially designed book-length story based on Sleeping Beauty by Neil Gaiman.
Other participating authors and illustrators include Dave Eggers, Lisa Brown, Brian Selznick, Michael Pollan, Wendy McNaughton, and Don DeLillo.
CBD is a collaboration between the Northern and Southern California Independent Booksellers Associations, representing more than 300 bookstores. Pete Mulvihill, co-owner of Green Apple Books in San Francisco, spearheaded the launch of the event after noting the success of Record Store Day. "Green Apple is eagerly awaiting California Bookstore Day,” Mulvihill says. “We hope it will put to rest, again, the false narrative that bookstores are dying. Readers will get to enjoy our incredible vibrancy with special books, unique in-store events, and plenty of buzz."
Each participating bookstore will be hosting their own CBD event on May 3 to celebrate the vitality and diversity of independent bookselling across the state with readings, giveaways, parties, food-trucks and more
We hope you will consider a feature story and/or a front-of-the-book mention in April or May, 2014.
Story ideas include:
• Why authors still love indies best
• Indie bookstores: how they survive and thrive
• California’s literary culture is alive and well (Yes, even in Silicon Valley)
• The myth of the dying bookstore
• Working together but keeping it indie: How California’s bookstores band together but remain wholly unique and fiercely independent
• How to make a shop a destination
• Why big New York publishers go out of their way to keep small indie bookstores thriving
For interviews with authors, publishers or booksellers, or for more information and art please contact Samantha Schoech, email@example.com or 415-846-6131.